Saturday, March 20, 2010

Would and Could I consider myself a "PROFESSIONAL" after I Graduate?

Before going directly to the question if I could or would consider my self as a professional when I graduate, let me define what is a "PROFESSION" and "PROFESSIONAL".

A Definition of PROFESSION from Microsoft Encarta:
  • occupation requiring extensive education: an occupation that requires extensive education or specialized training
As the meaning suggests, one could be considered professional only if he underwent extensive or thorough education or a specialized training. Very self-explanatory.

Definitions of PREFESSIONAL from Microsoft Encarta:

1. of profession: relating to or belonging to a profession
professional people

2. following occupation as paid job: engaged in an occupation as a paid job rather than as a hobby
professional tennis player

3. businesslike: conforming to the standards of skill, competence, or character normally expected of a properly qualified and experienced person in a work environment
professional attitude

4. very competent: showing a high degree of skill or competence
did a very professional job

From the definitions above, being a professional connotes a well-mannered individual with conduct and good attitude toward his duties/responsibilities as he might be paid for what he is doing (2nd definition); belonging to a group of people who are also "professional" (1st definition); proper mannered, competent and experienced (3rd definition); and exemplary in whatever he does because of a high level of skills [talent, too] ensuring a job to be very well done.

And now, for the most coveted question: C/Would I consider myself a professional when I graduate?

The answer obviously lies on my own decision. The choice is on me if I would choose to utilize my years of education and training on the bright side to make a better community in the light of Information Technology.

I might also use my knowledge to improve and put my self on the top in the expense of others' rights, privileges or life...Technology is very powerful. It can bring life but it can also bring destruction.

And, as an IT practitioner very soon, I'd rather choose to be PROFESSIONAL than to be the other way around. I could still be considered a professional no matter what my future choices and actions are - no matter if I could hurt or jeopardize others' lives and make myself on top; but I'd rather choose to be the hardworking and admired for exemplary achievements and contributions that could benefit the community surrounding me.

Doing that, I am definite that I am a professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, thanks!:)